Monday, October 31, 2011

Hallowe'en

Did I ever tell you I despise all hallow's eve? I detest what it mostly stands for. I heartily dislike costuming my kids. I especially don't care for all that candy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like candy. I just want to choose the candy I like and not have to deal with all the candy I don't. It feels wasteful and almost disrespctful to throw away candy that someone spent their hard-earned money on so that my kid could come home with a sackful.

I tried years ago - with the first set of kids we raised - to talk them into going out for a nice dinner and then giving them each about $10 to spend on candy they wanted. In today's economy I'd go $20 each but it's a no go. They want to dress up, wander the streets with 150 other dressed up kids and beg candy from people we don't know.

We would never let them do this on any other day of the year and we would be calling the cops if 100+ kids were roaming the streets. Especially when 1/3 of them had knives and hatchets and guns!

Hmm, maybe calling the cops this evening would add some serious excitement to the night. I'd have to borrow somebody's cell phone though.....

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that my daughter is in Chicago otherwise she'd be sitting in front of the gate passing it out, next to a pumpkin that was wonderfully carved.

    Me? I turn off the lights, lock the doors, pull the blinds and do something else. I don't hate TnTing kids, I just don't want to spend the money and after the last Halloween at the old house, where carloads of kids were dropped off by someone, I don't care.

    Like the Tom Petty song says: "Don't Come "Round Here No More".

    ReplyDelete